Sign In / Sign Out
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges and Schools
- Map and Locations
When you apply to Arizona State University, you will be asked to indicate Filmmaking Practices as your intended major.
This online form will be made available approximately a month before the deadline each semester. Application submissions are now open: Film and Media Production Online Application Instructions.
- Complete or be in-progress of completing film core courses (FMP 201, FMP 250, FMP 261, FMS 100, FMS 200).
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA in the film core courses and an ASU cumulative GPA of 2.5.
WHEN TO APPLY?
- Apply to the film and media production concentration when you complete or are in-progress of completing film core courses in your sophomore year. The film area strongly recommends that students complete a majority of the core courses in the semesters prior to submitting their application.
- For Fall 2019 admissions:
- Materials are due by 5 p.m. Feb. 1, 2019 for the Spring 2019 interviews.
- For Fall 2019 admissions: Feb. 15–16, 2019. Interviews will be scheduled after the application deadlines; students will be contacted directly about signing up for an interview time.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND MATERIALS
The admissions committee will be made up of a cross-disciplinary group of faculty appointed on staggered terms. The committee will provide you with oral feedback on the material submitted for admission. Once the application deadline has passed, all students who have submitted a complete application, including all the application materials indicated below, will receive notification about the process of selecting their interview date and time within the above outlined timeframe.
- Complete the online Film and Media Production application form.
This online form will be made available approximately a month before the deadline each semester. Applications are now open: Film and Media Production Online Application Instructions.
- This online form works best using the latest versions of Firefox, Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. If you are unable to submit an online form, please contact the School of Film, Dance and Theatre at 480.965.5337 or by email at FDTadmissions@asu.edu.
- Compile the following materials:
All materials, except your letter of reccomendation, will be uploaded to the online application.
- Personal essay.
- In a short essay of approximately 1,000 words, please answer the question: What personal qualities, experiences and perspectives do you bring to the Film and Media Production program that you believe will allow you to succeed and thrive as you complete your degree at ASU? What is the most significant challenge you are looking forward to taking on? (Please be sure to indicate which track you are hoping to pursue — directing, producing, cinematography, editing or sound.)
- Critical essay.
- In a short essay of 600 to 800 words, please answer the question: Considering the track that you want to pursue (directing, producing, technical), share with us your thoughts on a specific film, television program or other work of digital storyteling that has inspired you.
- A copy of your current DARS.
- Your DARS report must show that you have completed or are in the final semester of your film core coursework. Please see your advisor prior to submitting your application if any exceptions need to be made to your DARS report to move coursework into the film core area.
- Work sample.
- Submit one from among the following (if you have questions about the content of your submission, please contact the School of Film, Dance and Theatre at 480.965.5337 or by email at FDTadmissions@asu.edu.)
The Admissions Committee strongly encourages students applying for the FMP program to submit a finished video sample - a short film project or sample reel that displays your work and skill as a director, producer, editor, production designer, sound designer, animator, or cinematographer. We will accept design portfolios and screenplay submissions with a special request approval; however, students interested primarily in screenwriting are encouraged to pursue the FPR Screenwriting track.
- Original screenplay.
- (By request only – your committee chair must approve this alternate submission. Please contact the School of Film, Dance and Theatre main office at 480.965.5337.) Full script for a short film (30 pages maximum)
- Original video.
- The video should be no more than 10 minutes in length and submitted through a URL address. Please test the link before submission.
- Design portfolio.
- (By request only – your committee chair must approve this alternate submission. Please contact the School of Film, Dance and Theatre main office at 480.965.5337.) Booklet containing photos, sketches, renderings or other materials from film production or costume design.
- Cinematography/editing reel.
- Edited reel of no more than 10 minutes in length demonstrating proficiency in film photography or editing.
- Letters of reference.
- Applicants are asked to submit ONE letter of recommendation from an ASU instructor, teaching assistant, professor, or staff member who can attest to the student's strengths, including work ethic, academic skills, creative imagination, ability to collaborate, leadership potential, and/or unique abilities and experience. Applicants have the option of submitting up to two additional letters of recommendation from references outside of ASU. Letters of recommendation should be uploaded by recommenders via this secure online form. If recommenders are having a hard time submitting this form, please submit reference letter to FDTadmissions@asu.edu. Letters will be due by 5 p.m. Feb. 1, 2019. Do not request letters from relatives or close friends.
**Please be sure your name is on all of your application materials.*
Your personal essay, critical essay, DARS report and work sample need to be uploaded to the online application. Recommenders must submit letters of reference via this secure online form.